So, I heard that Best Buy had been starting to demo Rock Band and I just had to find out how I felt about it.
Someone was on the drums when I got there so I got a chance to try out the new guitar, and it’s safe to say that I didn’t care for it. The strum bar has no click and it just feels very loose. The fret buttons also seem to take more pressure to register and I was having a much harder time on medium than I thought I would have.
Now, onto the drums.
None of the demo units have a kick pedal. As a result of this the drums difficulty is greatly reduced. I was able to jump straight into Hard difficulty and get some pretty decent scores in the 4 or 5 songs that I played. Here are a few things that I noticed about the drum kit though, in no particular order.
– Playing the drums while standing up is too f’n weird. I felt like I was Sheila E for a while. Which was nice, because I don’t feel pretty all that often.
– The pads are going to take a beating. Unless you’re a long time drummer, you won’t be hitting the center of the pads and the outsides will get pretty beat up… and the Best Buy ones were getting a decent amount of wear in less than a day.
– The yellow drum is the high hat and the red is the snare. I really hope that the full version will allow you to reverse those two. When I played about 5 or 6 years ago, I was always crossing my right hand over my left to play. So, the natural position for me would be to have the red be the high hat and the yellow be the snare. That’s just a drummer thing though.
– There wasn’t a single song that I played with someone where they were able to finish the guitar section while I was playing the drums. Every single person was having really bad issues playing the guitar. The only person I saw finish a guitar section was a Best Buy guy who went to some conference where they got to play the game a month or so ago.
Every person who got ticked playing the guitar section immediately walked over to play Guitar Hero 3 and was just nailing things on that. What that means exactly, I can’t say for sure.
– The on screen singers lip synching was spot on. That part looked really good.
After putting in about 45 minutes, I did enjoy playing the game with the drums. I hated playing it with the new guitar and found myself wanting to use the new GH3 controller on Rock Band almost immediately. Will I want to spend $170 on it? Not a chance. I can see myself buying the drums and game seperately next year, but I wouldn’t want the bundle right now. That might just be me though.