– When a long absence occurs from something that you really enjoy, it’s always great to have some epic excuse or some really amazing timeline of events that have happened that have prevented you from being able to take on that task. Alas, that’s not the case for me. Not to say that I haven’t had some very fun activities in the last few weeks, but I’ve just basically been incredibly busy at work. When I’m not at work, I’m at home trying to just relax before I have to go back to work again. Rinse. Repeat.
So, here’s a brief summary to get all caught up with my life for the last few weeks (not in any particular time based order.)
1. Went to the Packers/Vikings playoff game at Lambeau and had an amazing time. I hadn’t ever been to a NFL playoff game before and it did not disappoint, and if you add to the fact that it was a night game, it just became even more incredible. There was a tension at the tailgate and at the game that were completely foreign to me. Everyone knew it could be the last game of the year and people were tending not to celebrate as much as they would before a normal game, but my friends and myself did our best to make sure that people enjoyed the heck out of it. Plus it was awesome to beat the Vikings (even if Joe Webb was their QB.)
2. Had a great New Years Eve thanks to some terrific friends who brought Cards Against Humanity as a game for the group to play. If you have friends that are not easily offended, it can be an amazing night of laughter playing that game. It can be printed out for free, but my wife and I are planning on picking up the official version soon. It’s worth well more than the $25 that it costs based on the night of entertainment that we got out of it.
3. Went Ice Fishing this past weekend and had a great bit of luck with that as well. Had 30 to 40 tip-ups during the day and had at least 20 fish on the ice. Ice Fishing is a great deal more fun when you’re actually catching stuff. Otherwise it’s just getting drunk on a lake… which isn’t all that bad of a concept either.
4. Saw two movies up for Best Picture. Django Unchained and Silver Linings Playbook. Both were very good, but Silver Linings Playbook was an absolutely terrific story that was remarkably well acted. Tremendous.
Django on the other hand is a very good film using the slavery as a basis for a revenge film. It’s incredibly graphic, but the story and the subtext is what really keeps me thinking about it. I don’t believe for one second that it will win best picture, but it clearly deserved to be nominated.
5. Another that I saw (and can’t believe that I didn’t mention when I saw it,) which I enjoyed a tremendous amount as Seven Psychopaths. If you saw En Bruges, you need to see this movie. Another violent film, but incredibly funny at times as well. Well worth your time to track it down on DVD/Blu-Ray when it comes out next week.
Those are the major activities… although minor ones may be referenced from time to time in the future.
Back to the blogging…
– Why does anyone care about the Manti Te’o story? A football player lied about an imaginary relationship for media attention. Move on…
Seriously, a girl commited suicide after reporting being raped by Notre Dame football players and that gets zero attention. I wish the media would actually pick the stories that need to be told, not the ones like this pathetic dreck.
– Lance Armstrong is a huge liar and a major league d-bag for suing people in the past when they were telling the truth about what was going on in relation to his doping. If he were the great guy that some people are clinging to, he would pay restitution to the people who’s lives he made hell for the last 10 years.
– We get another year of MLB2K? Who saw that coming? I have actually enjoyed that game more than the Show from time to time, as I just enjoy the pitching interface more than what Sony is doing. I’ll be anxious to know what they’ve been doing with the development time, but I’m guessing it’ll be a roster update and some gameplay tweaks.
– If anyone nationally didn’t know it before, they should know now that Wisconsin elected a moron to senator in 2010. Replacing Russ Feingold with Ron Johnson will go down as one of the worst election mistakes this state has made. Just watch any of the “questions” that he has been asking Secretary of State Clinton or John Kerry and you’ll see that he is clearly in over his head.
– Glad that hockey is back and that DirecTV has NHL Center Ice for free until the 31st. I’ve been watching a ton of games, and while it is clear that they are a bit rusty… it’s just awesome to see NHL hockey again.
– Back to your regularly schedule programming… and lots more work for me.