– Woohoo! The site has been up for 2 days without crashing. Gotta love memory leaks in applications that cause database crashes. Or something.
– Dan has been bugging me to pick up Sniper Elite 3 and I just wanted to put forth a script to summarize almost every conversation that I have with him.
(Enter Glen. A man, who even as he is approaching middle age, is still dashingly handsome.)
(Enter Dan. A very strange individual.)
Dan: Hey! You should buy <insert game that came out in the last week.>
Glen: Why should I buy it?
Dan: Because it new and it’s a game.
Seriously, this happens almost every single week. It doesn’t have to be new games either. Last night he was telling me that I should buy Bases Loaded on WiiU, because I should.
I think that living inside Dan’s mind would be one of the scariest places in the history of the world to be.
– Having said all that, I did try out Sniper Elite v2 (due to the fact that Steam had the game for free a few months ago) and have found that while playing it on the easiest setting that it is quite good. It is certainly incredibly violent, but it does let you do something like this. My best to this point is 2 kills with one shot, but it is fun to try and line up those kinds of shots and then pull them off.
I can imagine that the new version of the game has improved some of the aspects of the controls and graphics, but I’m definitely enjoying this game for the $0 that I paid for it.
– Also on the playlist of late is Assassin’s Creed IV for the PS4 and what has been interesting for me is that, for the most part, I’m completely ignoring the story (except to unlock the capability to complete certain events) and just cruising around from island to island wrecking the Caribbean and blowing up forts with the big-ass cannons on my ship.
I have absolutely zero interest in the multiplayer side of the game, but boarding ships and killing random Spanish and British sailing crew has been a blast for me.
– With my Club Nintendo rewards points, (I have far too much Nintendo stuff, and am still pissed about missing out on the Mario Bros shoelaces that they offered in the past) I picked up Kid Icarus 3D for the 3DS.
I don’t know if I was some sort of gaming savant in my earlier days or if my skills have faded that much, but the game kicked my arse when I played it last night.
There seems to be a great deal of nostalgia about making games hard again and I feel that eventually we’re going to reach a point where someone will create a game that punches you in the face every time you make a mistake just to make it “hardcore.”
Having said that, there is still something to completing a massive achievement in a game. I still remember the feeling that I got when I beat Mike Tyson in Punch Out (had to use the cheat code to face him, as I could never beat him after defeating everyone else in the game.) There is just something special about the challenge that was in some of those old games, so I will stick with Kid Icarus for a while and see if I can find some of my old skills, rusty as they are.